One of the most populous cities in the world. A thriving center of economy, culture and industry.
Tokyo consists of the southwestern part of the Kanto region, the Izu Islands, and the Ogasawara Islands. Tokyo is the capital of Japan, and the place where over 13 million people live, making it one of the most populous cities in the world. When the Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu established a government there in the early 17th century, the area started to develop, spreading out around his residence, Edo Castle. Most of the city was devastated by the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, and then again by the bombing in the WWII, however, Tokyo was able to achieve a remarkably rapid recovery both times.
Tokyo is not only the political and economical center of Japan, it has also emerged as a center of the world economy and culture. There are a number of attractions in Tokyo that should not be missed. There are large-scale downtown areas, including Ginza where famous shops from around the world stand side by side, the sleepless Shinjuku that has become the "new city center of Tokyo," Asakusa which is reminiscent of the traditional Edo (the former name of Tokyo), and Shibuya that starts the trends for the young people. Other unique areas include the computer town Akihabara, a dense retail area where numerous electronic shops compete against each other, attracting many shoppers from Japan and overseas, and Tsukiji, an open-air wholesale food market catering to shops and consumers everywhere in Japan.
Things to Do
Tokyo's Cities & Regions
- Shinjuku Area Shinjuku Area
- Shibuya Area Shibuya Area
- Ikebukuro Area Ikebukuro Area
- The Imperial Palace Area The Imperial Palace Area
- Central Tokyo Central Tokyo
- Akihabara Area Akihabara Area
- Asakusa Area Asakusa Area
- Odaiba Area Odaiba Area
- Shibaura Area Shibaura Area
- Ginza/Nihombashi Area Ginza/Nihombashi Area
- Harajuku/Omotesando/Aoyama Area Harajuku/Omotesando/Aoyama Area
- Roppongi/Akasaka Area Roppongi/Akasaka Area
- Ueno Area Ueno Area
- Ebisu/Daikanyama/Meguro Area Ebisu/Daikanyama/Meguro Area
- Kasai Area Kasai Area
- Korakuen Area Korakuen Area
- Ryogoku Area Ryogoku Area
- Tsukiji Area Tsukiji Area
- Yanaka/Nezu/Sendagi/Hongo Area Yanaka/Nezu/Sendagi/Hongo Area
- Shimokitazawa Area Shimokitazawa Area
- Haneda/Kamata Area Haneda/Kamata Area
- Izu Shichito Islands Izu Shichito Islands
- Okutama Area Okutama Area
- Mt. Takao-san Area Mt. Takao-san Area
- Ogasawara Islands Ogasawara Islands
- Western Tokyo Area Western Tokyo Area
More on Tokyo Pref.
- Official Tokyo Travel Guide "GO TOKYO" Official Tokyo Travel Guide "GO TOKYO"
- Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture
- Tokyo Metropolitan Park Association Tokyo Metropolitan Park Association
- Chichibu & Oku-tama [PDF] Chichibu & Oku-tama [PDF]
- Tokyo Walks [PDF] Tokyo Walks [PDF]
- EDO - TOKYO MUSEUM EDO - TOKYO MUSEUM
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office Observatory Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office Observatory
- National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation
- Roppongi Hills Roppongi Hills
- Tokyo Disneyland Park/Disney Sea Park Tokyo Disneyland Park/Disney Sea Park
- Sanrio Puroland Sanrio Puroland
- Tokyo Midtown Tokyo Midtown
- Route:Departure from Tokyo Route:Departure from Tokyo
- Skyliner - the fastest way to downtown Tokyo! Skyliner - the fastest way to downtown Tokyo!
- Advanced illuminations! Advanced illuminations!
- Start your Tokyo sightseeing preparations at Narita Start your Tokyo sightseeing preparations at Narita
- A German Zen Master A German Zen Master
- Let's enjoy a sports festival in the world's most enjoyable city Let's enjoy a sports festival in the world's most enjoyable city
- All About Tokyo All About Tokyo